GONE GIRL REVIEW

04:55

BY GILLIAN FLYNN


On a warm summer morning in North Carthage, Missouri, it is Nick and Amy Dunne's fifth wedding anniversary. Presents are being wrapped and reservations are being made when Nick's clever and beautiful wife disappears from their rented McMansion on the Mississippi River. Husband-of-the-Year Nick isn't doing himself any favors with cringe-worthy daydreams about the slope and shape of his wife's head, but passages from Amy's diary reveal the alpha-girl perfectionist could have put anyone dangerously on edge. Under mounting pressure from the police and the media--as well as Amy's fiercely doting parents--the town golden boy parades an endless series of lies, deceits, and inappropriate behavior. Nick is oddly evasive, and he's definitely bitter--but is he really a killer? 
As the cops close in, every couple in town is soon wondering how well they know the one that they love. With his twin sister, Margo, at his side, Nick stands by his innocence. Trouble is, if Nick didn't do it, where is that beautiful wife? And what was in that silvery gift box hidden in the back of her bedroom closet? (Taken from goodreads)


How do I even do a review for gone girl!

I read this entire book in about a day (what else do you do without the internet hey!), my brain is still in a whirlwind of pain, confusion and amazement.
And I’m going to try my hardest to not spoil a single thing. So this might not be the best review ever!

Firstly I would like to say is that Gillian Flynn deserves all of the awards for this book. Not only is the story line captivating and addicting, her writing is effortlessly flawless and it flows so wonderfully.
The characters are so well written, throughout the entire book you start trusting and then mistrusting everyone until you don't know who to trust and all you feel is pain. While I was reading this I just couldn’t decide who was lying and who was being truthful! It was so captivating, I really didn’t want to put the book down at all!

From the diary entries from Amy Dunne then immediately going to Nick Dunne’s perspective was done (pun slightly intentional) really well. At the beginning I was almost worried that it wouldn’t work and go sour very quickly, but Flynn’s writing suited the style perfectly and fit effortlessly.

The ‘plot twist’ (I really dislike that term) I personally think was done pretty well, at the right moment and I really didn’t see it coming at all. The people who I have spoken to about it also said that they didn’t see it coming and that it was a shock and it worked really well.

I have heard in conversation that they didn’t 100% like the ending but when I read books, I don’t necessarily read books in search of a happy ending, I find if I keep ending every book on a picture perfect ending, it gets quite boring. So I am happy with the way it ended.

There isn’t much else I can say about this book without ruining it for you. It was incredibly written, fascinating plot with captivating characters, what else do you need to know?
I will with certainty being looking into Flynn’s other books if this is indication of her writing!

I rate this book a perfect 5/5 stars.

Until the next time I read a book check me out on other social media platforms:
Instagram: chelsies_book_addiction 


Chelsie.x   

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts