THE BONE SEASON REVIEW

05:26

BY Samantha Shannon
Published 20th August 2013
Scion no safer place
The year is 2059
Nineteen-year-old Paige Mahomey is working in the criminal underworld of scion London, based in the seven dials, employed by a man named Jaxon Hall. Her job: to scout  for information by breaking into people’s minds. For Paige is a dreamwalker, a clairvoyant – and in her world, the world of scion, she commits treason simply by breathing
But outside the repressive boundaries of scion, a powerful, otherworldly race waits in the shadows. The season has come and Paige’s life is about to change forever.





Now I didn’t hate it, I just didn’t fall in love with it, and I really wanted to fall in love with this book! 
So I am going to look at what I loved and didn’t love about this book!

PROS FIRST!

CHARACTERS:

The best thing about this whole book are the characters, Paige was wonderful to read about. She was a great female character who was so complex and three-dimensional, which is a main element in any protagonist. She also wasn’t boring to read and definitely has many flaws and the main thing was that she wasn’t driven by a love plot throughout most of the book. This is very rare in many YA novels. I mean don’t get me wrong, there was a love interest and a good one, but it didn’t engulf the entire novel.

Jaxon Hall, I didn’t like this man the moment I read about him, but I think I was justified to dislike him, Warden was a great character, mysterious, suave, good-looking, everything you need in a male YA character. He had such a solid story line and background, he was great!



PLOT:

The premise of the book was awesome and original and it made me want to buy it, clairvoyance and magic, it just screams awesome. It wasn't just the idea of magic, it was so original, and there was no controlling elements or summoning, all the things that had been done before.  She had such an original idea and I congratulate her on that!

AND NOW FOR THE CONS:

WRITING:

For me the writing was not great. It felt so over complex at times, and I knew it was going to be intricate, the first two pages were dedicated to showing you seven orders of clairvoyance and within that the different types of clairvoyance. And they didn’t have any descriptors, so when they came up in the book I felt as if I should be taking notes like I was at school so I could remember them for next time. Then there was a badly drawn map which I gave up trying to decipher.  

Also at the back there is a nine page glossary for the slang she interpreted from the nineteenth century. If I am reading your book and every chapter I have to flip to the back of the book to try and figure out what you are saying then it is a tad much!

I can't tell you how many times I said this while reading this book!


Another little thing with the writing was the descriptions; they were either fantastic and well done or non-existent. The setting would change so fast, it was difficult to know where the characters were, one minute we are in a bedroom then all of a sudden we are in a field with a deer. It was slightly jumpy, all I am sayin’.

I will end up reading her second book; The Mime Order as I did love the plot and the characters I just hope her writing gets a little better, as apparently there is going to seven books in total, SEVEN, according to Samantha Shannon’s Goodreads page. I wish her good luck!


I rate this book a solid:

Could of been worse, I did like the characters, plot and premise, it was only the writing that let this book down for me.

So tell me did you like this book? Did you hate it? Did you have no feeling about it whatsoever? 
I would like to know!

Until the next time I read a book

Add me on goodreads
Find me on twitter &
Follow me on Instagram: chelsies_book_addiction 

Chelsie.x 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts