FINAL IMPRESSIONS - ALL THE BRIGHT PLACES

05:50

Hello my lovely little marshmallow biscuits!

Its time for my long awaited (not really) final impressions blog post of All the bright places by Jessica Niven.

*WARNING I WILL BE TALKING ABOUT SUICIDE AND DEPRESSION*

If you feel uncomfortable please stop reading! 

Now I didn’t hate it, I just despised every moment of reading it. I feel as though this book could have been so much better. It is such a serious topic to write about and a difficult one to get right, so I do commend Niven for trying, it just wasn’t done well.
So in this review I will split it up into ‘Likes’ and ‘dislikes’ so lets discuss!

I will start with likes as it is the shortest section!

LIKES:
I really liked the school project idea, visiting different places leaving something behind when you take an experience away from the place. I thought that was a really well done idea. The book trailers man I would love to go to one of those!

The character Decca, Finch’s little sister was in interesting one to me, she is obviously going through some major issues with her father not being around, being abusive and her mother not caring at all. But I love the way Finch helps her, with the book and doesn’t question her to much but allows her to express her feelings and doesn’t judge her.

Violets parents weren’t the worst, they were supportive in helping her cope with Finch and her mum helped her set up her new website and trying to help her back into a normal routine with collage. They weren’t the best but they did try!

So that’s all I liked in this book…



DISLIKES:

CHARACTERS:

The two main characters finch and Violet, wow where do I start. Well they both seem to have a very serious case of ‘quirky for the sake of being quirky’ which is one of the most annoying trait characters can have.

 Finch was ultra-pretentious which made for a character that I didn’t enjoy reading about at all. He also had very stalker like tendencies, following her when she says no, showing up to her house when she tells him to leave her alone, forcing her to go places with him, creating a facebook account just to friend her. It all doesn’t sit right to me. Now I will get to the mental illness side of Finch shortly.


Violet on the other hand was a manic pixie dream girl, which is one of my most hated troupes that people can use. This relates to the whole ‘quirky for being quirky’ thing from before.  Now I do not doubt high school education or intelligence but I am currently in University and I know of nobody who can spout perfect literature at a moment’s notice. The whole ‘Oh she likes classic novels she’s so unique’ please stop this, most people like classic novels.



WRITING:
The writing in this book is so ‘happy-go-lucky’ which is the completely wrong tone for this subject matter. Suicide and depression is a very serious subject and this book written in the most cheerful way. It just feels wrong. Not only that, I felt as if the writing was very forced and didn’t flow very well, I got 50 pages into the book and felt it was a struggle to keep reading. It felt 'meh'. 


SUBJECT:
Suicide is not a fun subject, so reading about not funny suicide jokes, or non-supportive school counsellors, or when the entire book was romanticising the idea on mental illness I was not impressed. Violets entire dialogue the second half of the book was her wondering why she couldn’t fix Finch.  And Finch’s depression and suicide were pretty much only used to enable Violet’s character development.  Both of these plot points were bad. You can’t fix depression with love,  and someone else’s illness is not a motivator for your life.



With this material I feel as if she could have done so much more with the story. As an author you can write about anything, LITERLLY ANYTHING!
So when I read the authors note about her dealings with Suicide, I got mad. If you know how it affects people, how devastating it is to lose someone by suicide. Then maybe write something useful! Don’t give a character nothing, Finch had no escape, his parents were horrible, his counsellor was shockingly horrid, his friends didn’t care about him, nobody had anything good to say about group meeting and acted if it was a shameful thing and he had nobody to talk to.

If you want society to change its views on depression and suicide then write something that will help someone seek help (even if it is venting on the internet), write something inspiring, write something that will shock people. Show your readers, who are predominately the younger generation at seeking help is allowed and not shameful. Because this is the main thing I got from this book. Nobody wants to help.


I feel as though I could go on but I might be here for days.
I rate this book

These ideas might not make sense to some people so if you do want more information, feel free contact me about anything and I will try and help as best I can or guide you to some other resources.

All I want for people to take from this is: talking helps, people are here to help; there are so many resources everywhere to seek help from. So if you ever feel as though you do need help please don’t feel as if it is shameful or you are not important because you are. There are people who care!  

Until the next time I read a book

Chelsie xox  

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts