BEAUTY QUEENS REVIEW

22:05

By Libba Bray 

SURVUVAL. OF THE FITTEST.

The fifty consents in the Miss Dream Pageant thought this was going to be a fun trip to the beach, where they could parade I their state-appropriate costumes and compete om front of the cameras. But sadly, their airplane had another idea, crashing on a desert island and leaving the survivors with little food, little water, and practically no eyeliner.

What’s a beauty queen to do?  Continue to practice for the talent portion of the program – or wrestle snakes to the ground? Get a perfect tan – or learn to run wild? And what should happen when the sexy pirate show up?

Welcome to the heart of non-exfoliated darkness.



Where do I even start with this book?
When I first heard about this book, I knew I had to read it as soon as I possibly could.
First off, it is one of the most sarcastic books I have ever read. There is an ‘A word from your sponsor’ chapter before the book and it sets the tone of these book wonderfully; witty, sarcastic, and prepared to destroy your current views on the beauty standard in modern society.

CHARACTERS:
The story is centred on 10 characters, I did think that was going to be a bit much but Libba Bray did a fantastic job of not dragging out it out and kept it flowing. It was perfect. The characters themselves were pretty amazing. The inclusivity of this book was done so well, it was LGBTQ+, which means lesbian/bisexual character and them being spoken about in a positive light. Somebody hold me! And then as if it could get any better it was Tran inclusive and again it being positive, more about these things later. There were different ethnicities within characters and they were also fantastically done, again more on these later. The characters were so great, the inclusiveness and she created different and distinct personalities for each of them. I was in a world of happiness when I read this book.

THEMES:
As I said before, this book is here to destroy your original views on the current beauty standards, which are ridiculous by the way. But Libba Bray does even more than that. She does a lot of focus on lesbian culture and how people view them as people. Trans inclusivity is not a subject that many authors would touch with a ten foot pole, Libba writes about the discrimination they face and how isolated they can be and she does an amazing job of destroying that idea and representation is wonderful.
She write so much on discrimination, the idea how only one ethnicity can be viewed beautiful at a time other than white, she writes a lot about how it is growing up in a white society when you aren’t exactly the whitest and how that can effect a person. Also another thing is how much pageants suck, how many contestants are only doing it because their parents are forcing them, and a major thing that suck with me was how you have to make yourself happy and not anyone else, you are the most important person. The list of themes goes on and on but these where the main focus points that I loved.

FINAL THOUGHTS:

In my note book full of notes, I have a full page of Pros for beauty queens and under the cons section it just says:

NOTHING, THIS BOOK WAS PERFECT!

So if that doesn't sum up my thoughts I don’t know what will.

Honestly I feel as though everyone should read this book, it’s funny, informative, the representation is unbelievable and it makes me happy.

I obviously give this book:





Be warned I haven't included everything in this book, there still is so much more to experience. 
Let me know if you have read this book or are planning to read it!

Until the next time I read a book

Chelsie xox 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts